Thursday, August 25, 2011

Noun in Apposition

NOUN IN APPOSITION

When one noun follows another to describe it, the noun which follows is said to be in apposition to the noun which comes before it.

Example:
1.     S.M Zakir Hussain, author of many renowned books, is a philosopher.
2.     Dhaka, the capital city of Bangladesh, is a big city.
3.     Luca Pacioli, inventor of double entry system, was a mathematician.
4.     Yesterday I met your uncle, the doctor.
5.     Have you seen Ganguli, the artist’s drawings?

NOUN AND OTHER PARTS OF SPEECH
Adjective
He is poor.
Noun
The poor are not always dishonest.
Verb
Show me your photo.
Noun
We enjoyed a good show in the cinema.
Adverb
He lives here.
Noun
It’s a long way from here.
Conjunction
He is poor but honest.
Noun
But me no buts.
Infinitive
I want to see it.
Noun
To see is to believe.
Gerund
Walking is a good exercise.
I like catching fish very much.
Phrase
Life is not a bed of roses.
Life is a walking shadow.
Clause
I know what he wants.
What he has done will save his family.

3 comments: