Thursday, August 25, 2011

THAT AND THAT CLAUSE

THAT

That has no genitive case and it is never used with a preposition preceding.
Example:
This is the boy that I told you of.
I know the house that he lives in.
I have lost the watch that you gave me.
He that is not with me is against me.
All that I said had no effect on him.

v    Relative pronoun completely replaces a duplicate noun phrase.
John bought a car. The car cost thirty thousand dollars. = John bought a car that cost thirty thousand dollars.

v    That may be used as an adverbial accusative = on which, in which, at which. As- I remember the day that he came.
v    That is used in preference to who or which. As-
i.                   After adjective in the superlative degree: He was the most eloquent speaker that I ever heard.
ii.                 After words, all, some, any, none, nothing, (the only) as- all that glitters is not gold. Man is the only animal that can talk.
iii.              After interrogative pronoun who, what. As- What is there that I do not know? Who am I that I should object?
iv.              After two antecedents, one denoting a person and the other denoting an animal. As- The boy and his dog that has trespassed on the club premises were turned out.
v    That is usually optional with these verbs: say, tell, think, believe. As- John said he is leaving next week. Or John said he is leaving next week.


THAT CLAUSE

Some clauses, generally introduced by noun phrases, also contain that. These clauses are reversible. Example:
It is well known that many residents of third world countries are dying.
Or, That many residents of third world countries are dying is well known.

NOTE: If a sentence begins with a that clause be sure that both clauses contain a verb. Example:
It surprises me that John would do such a thing. Or, That John would do such a thing surprises me.

No comments:

Post a Comment