Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Sequence of Tense


þ Sequence of Tense þ
When two clauses make up a sentence, they show a time relationship based on certain time words and verb tenses. This relationship is called “sequences of tenses”. The verb tense of the main clause will determine that of the dependent clause.

IF THE MAIN CLAUSE IS

THEN THE DEPENDENT CLAUSE WILL BE


Present/Future Tense
  1. Present progressive
  2. will, can or may + Verb
  3. Past tense
  4. Present perfect
Example:
I see that Tanveer is writing a composition.
Do you know who is riding the bicycle?
He says that he will look for a job next week.
I know that she is going to win that prize.
Shajal says that he can play the piano.
I hope he arrived safely. I eat so that I may live.
They think he was here last night.
He tells us that he has been to the mountains before.
We know that you have spoken with Mila about the concert.
Rimon will say that he writes a sms. I shall nurse him so that he may live.

IF THE MAIN CLAUSE IS

THEN THE DEPENDENT CLAUSE WILL BE


Past Tense
  1. Simple past
  2. Past progressive
  3. would, could or might + Verb
  4. Past perfect
Example:
I gave the package to my sister when she visited us last week.
Shila visited the national museum while he was studying in Dhaka University.
He said that he would look for a job next week.
Sam said that he could play the piano.
I hoped he had arrived safely.
They thought he had been here last night.
I never thought that I should see him again.
They climbed so that they might get a better view.



EXCEPTIONS

i.                   Past tense in the principal clause may be followed by a present tense in the subordinate clause expresses a universal truth; as-
         Example: Newton discovered that the force of gravitation makes apples fall.
          Galileo maintained that the earth moves round the sun.
          Euclid proved that three angles of a triangle are equal to two right angles.
          He said that honesty is the best policy.
ii.                 When the subordinate clause is introduced by than, even if there is a past tense in the principal clause, it may be followed by any tense required by the tense in the subordinate clause; as-
    Example: He liked you better than he likes me.
                   He helped him more than hi helps his own children.
                   I then saw him oftener than I see him now.
                   He valued his friendship more than he values mine.
iii.              If the main clause is in past perfect then the subordinate clause will be in conditional perfect tense; as-
    Example: If I had known that you were in the hospital I would have met you.

No comments:

Post a Comment