Friday, September 23, 2011

CONDITIONAL SENTENCE


CONDITIONAL SENTENCE

Real Conditions

In the real condition, those types of sentences come which can be possible in some extent. The verb in the If-clause is in the present tense, and the verb in the main clause is in the future simple. It doesn’t matter which comes first.
If he runs he will get there in time.
He will get there in time if he runs.
This type of sentence implies that the action in the if – clause is quite probable.
Present Habit

Structure:
If + subject + verb (present indefinite) + complement +modifier, + subject + verb (present indefinite) + complement + modifier.

He goes to market everyday if he does not go to the university.
John usually walks to school if he has enough time.

Future Conditions

Structure:
If + subject + verb (present) + complement + modifier, + subject+ will/shall/can/may/must + verb
(simple) + complement + modifier.
If he comes to London, he may phone you.
If he receives your letter, he must send you a reply.
If you read, you will pass.
If it rains, I will not go there.

Unreal Condition

These types of sentences are those which cannot be true.
These only express the wish of a man that is not real actually.
The verb in the If-clause is in the past tense. The verb in the main clause is in the conditional tense.
If I had time, I would go to the beach with you this weekend.
If we hadn't lost our way, we would have arrived sooner.
If I had a pen I would lend it to you. (But I haven’t a pen).

Present Unreal Conditions

Structure: If + subject+ verb (past indefinite) + complement + modifier, subject + would /could/might + verb (simple) + complement + modifier

If I had the time, I would go to market now
If I were sick, I would stay home today.

NOTE: In the unreal condition, the past tense form of 'be' is always 'were' in a conditional sentence; it can never be 'was'.
If I were you, I wouldn't do that.

Past Unreal conditions
The verb in the If-clause is in the past perfect tense and the verb in the main clause is in the perfect conditional. The time is past and the condition cannot be fulfilled because the action in the If-clause didn’t happen. If I had known that you were coming, I would have met you at the airport. (But I didn’t know, so I didn’t come)

Structure: If + subject + verb (past perfect) + complement + modifier, + subject+ would have/could have/might have + verb (past participle) + complement + modifier.

Or, Had+ subject+ verb (past participle) + complement + modifier, + subject + would have/could have/might have+ verb (past participle) + complement + modifier
If I had had the time, I would have gone to market yesterday.
If he had been here yesterday, I could have told you.

Had I had the time, I would have gone to market yesterday.
Had he been here yesterday, I would have told you.

Hope/Wish

These two verbs, while they are similar in meaning, are not used at all the same grammatically. The verb HOPE is used to indicate something that possibly happened or will possibly happen. The verb WISH is used to indicate something that definitely did not happen or definitely will not happen. The verb HOPE can be followed by any tense.
The verb wish must not be followed by any present tense verb or present tense auxiliary. Be sure that you understand the difference in the following sentences with wish and hope.
We hope that they will come.
We wish that they might come.
Remember that wish is very similar to a contrary to fact or unreal condition.
Present unreal condition: If I were rich, I would be very happy.
Present wish: I wish I were rich.
Past unreal condition: If you had been here last night, we would have enjoyed it.
Past wish: We wish that you had been here last night.

As if / As though

In case of unreal conditions, as though and as if are two commonly used conjunctions. The verb which follows these conjunctions must be in the past tense or past perfect.
Subject + verb (present) + as if as though + subject + verb(past)
Pamela walks as if she were a super model
He talks as though he won the first prize.
He speaks as if he were a minister.
She walks as though she studied modeling
Subject + verb (past) + as if/as though + subject + verb (past perfect)
Runa looked as if she had seen a ghost. (She didn't see a ghost)
Pamela walked as if she had been a super model.
He talked as though he had won the first prize.

No comments:

Post a Comment