Friday, September 23, 2011

EXERCISE ON GERUND/INFINITIVE


Exercise: Gerunds/ Infinitives

1. In automotive companies, employees are rewarded for --------- with the firm for lengthy time periods.
A. to stay
B. staying
C. to staying
D. stay
2. Graduate students often spend their weekends -------- data for their research.
A. together
B. to gather
C. gathering
D. to gathering
3. Early craftsmen did not have the technology that would have allowed them ----------- their wares.
A. to storing and transporting
B. to store and to transport
C. storing and transporting
D. store and transport.
4. Language permits us–––– our heritage through literature and narratives.
A. preserve
B. preserving
C. to preserve
D. preservation
5. Fingerprints have been employed --- criminals, amnesia victims, and unknown dead.
A. to identifying
B. identifies
C. identifying
D. to identify
6. The blood near the skin allows excess body heat --------- from the skin.
A. to be lost
B. being lost
C. to be losing
D. losing.
7. Amateur sportsmen believe that there are too many government restrictions on ----- deer.
A. to hunting
B. hunts
C. hunting
D. to hunt
8. Botanists hope ------------- new methods of intensive cultivation of crops in Africa.
A. formulate
B. formula
C. to formulate
D. formulating.
9. In June 1990, lawmakers were on the verge of --------- a new clean air bill.
A. pass
B. passing
C. passage
D. pass to
10. China has made impressive efforts ---------- population growth under control.
A. to bring its
B. bringing its
C. to bringing its
D. bring there
11 You can’t stop me ............... what I want.
A. doing
B. do
C. to do
D. that I do
12 I must go now. I promised ....................late.
A. not being
B. not to be
C. to not be
D. I wouldn’t be
13 Do you want ––– with you or do you want to go alone?
A. me coming
B. me to come
C. that I come
D. that I will come
14 I’m sure I locked the door. I clearly remember ––it.
A. locking
B. to lock
C. to have locked
D. locked
15. She tried to be serious but she couldn’t help ––
A. laughing
B. to laugh
C. that she laughed
D. laughed
16 I like .......... the kitchen as often as possible.
A. cleaning
B. clean
C. to clean
D. that I clean
17 I’m tired. I’d rather –––– out this evening, if you don’t mind.
A. not going
B. not to go
C. don’t go
D. not go
18 ‘Shall I stay here?’ ‘I’d rather ––––– with us’.
A. you come
B. you to come
C. you came
D. you would come
19 Are you looking forward –––– Ann again?
A. seeing
B. to see
C. to seeing
D. seen
20 When Jane came to Britain, she had to get used –––on the left.
A. driving
B. to driving
C. to drive
D. drove
21 I’m thinking –––– a house. Do you think that’s a good idea?
A. to buy
B. of to buy
C. of buying
D. None
22 I’m sure you’ll have no............. the exam.
A. difficulty
B. difficulties to pass
C. difficulties passing
D. None
23 A friend of mine phoned .............me to party.
A. for invite
B. to invite
C. for inviting
D. for to invite
24 Jim doesn’t speak very clearly. ....................
A. It is difficult to understand him
B. He is difficult to understand.
C. He is difficult to understand him
D. None
25 The path was icy, so we walked very carefully. We were afraid ––
A. of falling
B. from falling
C. to fall
D. None
26 I didn’t hear you –––– in. You must have been very quiet.
A. come
B. to come
C. came
D. None
27 ––––– a hotel, we looked for somewhere to have dinner.
A. Finding
B. After finding
C. Having found
D. A+B+C
28. Jane doesn’t enjoy her job. She’s –––– because she does the same thing every day.
A. boring
B. bored
C. to bore
D. None
29. The primary symptoms of tinnitus are intermittent headaches and -------------.
A. to ring in the ears
B. a ringing in the ears
C. in the ears ring
D. the ringings in ear
30. Every few years, changes in the legal profession force the American Bar Association –––– its curriculum guidelines.
A. rewriting
B. to rewrite
C. rewrite of
D. for to rewrite


Answer Keys:
1. b 2. b 3. b 4. c 5. d 6. a 7. c 8. c 9. b 10. a 11. a 12. b 13.a 14.c 15.a 16.c 17.d 18.a 19.c 20.b 21.c 22.b 23.b 24.a 25.a 26.b 27. d 28.b 29. b 30.b

1 comment: